Sunday, October 28, 2018

Chocolate

Some something somewhere on my phone or some other electronic device informed me that today is Chocolate Day. Which I totally used as an excuse to eat chocolate, not like I ever need one. But of course, I then had to verify.

A quick Google search informed me that, yes, today is National Chocolate Day but there are 2 National Chocolate days (apparently the US National Confectioners Association knows a good thing when they see it). There is also a World Chocolate day (13 September) and a Chocolate Day (no national about it), on July 7. And then they have days for specific types of chocolate--milk chocolate day, white chocolate day*. So, chocolate lovers, be excited. There are loads of days for you.

But here's the thing I don't get. Why would you choose 28 October and 28 December as national chocolate days? I mean, really. Do they think we aren't eating chocolate in the lead up to Halloween and the post-Christmas goody binge? It makes no sense. We already get it--chocolate is a thing and we should eat it! We don't need a day to tell us that in October or December.

Nah, the answer here is simple. Reduce it to one National Chocolate Day (I mean, 2 is just super pretentious. And confusing. And overkill--and that's coming from a fan) and move it to August. August needs some rockin' holidays. I mean, "start of school" just isn't cutting it, guys. It's the perfect time to have a chocolate holiday.

In the meantime though, happy National Chocolate Day.

This post was brought to you by:

  • Whatever it was that brought National Chocolate Day to my attention
  • the US National Confectioners Association. Check out all their candy holidays here.
  • August. It wouldn't be a year without it.
  • Halloween. And Christmas.
  • ten typing fingers and the 8th grade keyboarding teacher who taught me to type.



*Does white chocolate really need its own day? One could argue it needs a day more than milk or dark chocolate or even chocolate in general. Maybe it's the only one that deserves a day...


No comments:

Post a Comment