Sunday, October 21, 2018

Like riding a bicycle

Way back in the day, when the world was saner (it seemed) and I was an awkward young adolescent (rather than an awkward middle-aged adult), I taught myself how to play the flute. Now, my mom had already taught me how to play the piano, and I learned to play the clarinet in band at school, which I pursued for 3 years. Then my grandpa helped us obtain a flute* and I wanted to learn but was already doing my 3rd year of clarinet in band. So, I somehow managed to teach myself the basics and I saved up so I could attend a week long flute camp at the University. I was really committed. I practiced the flute more than I did my band music on the clarinet, acted like I was having lessons and all. And it was playing the flute that got me blue ribbons at the Music Fest they held every year.

Then at some point, I became less focused on the flute**, just because there was so much else to focus on I imagine. I'd planned to switch over to the flute in band, but ended up dropping band due to scheduling and credits and wanting to graduate and all. Before I knew it, I had a niece who was old enough to be in band who wanted to play the flute, so I loaned it to her and life went on.

But my niece graduated last year and didn't have time for the flute in her college studies and now she's off on a mission, so on my last trip down to visit, I reclaimed the flute. It has been sitting in my room for about 6 weeks and I hadn't touched it except maybe once just blowing in the mouthpiece for 30 seconds. I've had dreams about picking it up and trying to play it and not being able to get a sound out--very realistic dreams, I might add, although I don't think that's why I never picked it up.

Finally, yesterday I assembled the flute and I am pleased to report that I figured out most of the fingerings after a few minutes (not that I could tell you which note lined up with which fingering) and even busted out a tune. I was absolutely able to make a sound, with the exception of one time changing registers, but I got there. And it was kind of exciting!

I would like to say I'm going to start practicing every day but that's not likely to happen in the next few weeks. I've got this test I need to study for that I want to take by the end of the month, a bunch of books I need to make, some trips to take, a couple of stories to write (hopefully by the end of the month as well!), and a bunch of other projects and only a few hours each night to work on them. But, I do hope to tuck the flute in here and there. Hopefully it will keep being like riding a bike.

And maybe now I can stop dreaming weird dreams about it.

*He was always doing things like that, my grandpa. 
**seriously, the story of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment