Saturday, October 13, 2018

The end of the world as we know it

So, a patron walks into the library and reports that today would be the end of the world. Which is actually a true story and, as I'm sure you've figured out by now, turned out not to be the case. But it did get me thinking that if it were the end of the world, what was I doing at work? Actually, I do think we should have an end-of-the-world holiday once in a while. Then we could all go out and do the thing we'd want to do if it was the day the world was going to end.

Personally, I'd hop a plane and visit family. Or maybe they could all hop a plane and we could congregate in a central location, because there are a few of us and I could never make it to all of them in 24 hours. I think I would want to just hang out with them most of all. Because I always enjoy that and if it is going to be the last day, you should make sure you enjoy it.

Plan B would be to travel somewhere I'd never been. Maybe Iceland--it is on my wish list. Or the UK. Maybe I could merge Plan A and Plan B and we can all meet up in Iceland. That could work.

Plan C might be to just sleep through it. Or maybe I'll bump that down a few letters as the desperation back up plan if all else fails. I expect the end of the world is going to be rather messy, so I'm not convinced I actually want to participate. But that's the end end, not the lead up to the end. In the lead up, I would definitely need to be distracted because otherwise I would get super stressed and then I'd be out in the street shouting at the skies, "Just end it already!!!" I have no patience with waiting for impending stressful events, like the destruction of earth. Just git 'er done, I say.*

Or maybe I'd rent a car and just start driving. Just to get a good look at the world. Although, if everyone is taking the same day to act like it's the last day on earth, traffic is probably going to get bad. So maybe we should stagger our celebrations. We can divide it up somehow--maybe go alphabetically or by birthdays. Or maybe I will just celebrate this myself, and all y'all can just pretend I never pitched the idea. Or we can all just pick a random day to celebrate the end of the world. There are options.

The good news is, it's not the end of the world and I will still get my Saturday.** And,  I suspect many more days to come. But don't be surprised if I take one or two of them here and there to be my last.

*Which is why, if were ever a zombie apocalypse, I wouldn't waste time trying to avoid getting bitten. I'd just get it over with. I just don't want to prolong the stress and anxiety of wondering if/when I'm going to go. Fortunately, I do not believe in zombie apocalypses, so this is really dead issue. Ha ha. 
**When we do hit the end of the world, I vote it come on a Sunday night. No sense losing a weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment