Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Bus 'Adventures'

Buses are a very interesting experience in so many ways. I think I need to figure out a way to turn my bus riding experiences into some kind of study and at least profit by all the human behavior I observe.

For example, the deterioration of social boundaries. On more than one occasion, absolute strangers have asked for my name, my phone number, or a date. The only other place where I was hit up that often was in the Dominican Republic, where I was most often hit upon because I was viewed as a passport to America.

There are also bus conversations. People somehow seem to forget that they're in public when on the bus. I can't tell you how many rants and one-side-of-the-conversation phone conversations I have heard. I heard a really bizarre one the other day, I'm not entirely sure if this girl, we'll call her "Jane", knew the person she was advising or not, I think maybe not, but she was quite free with her insight. quite free with it and I'm pretty sure drunk. But, hopefully whoever the recipient was felt a bit better about life and didn't take her advice to get drunk.

Anyway, if you are ever in need of a psychology project, check out your local bus system. I'm pretty sure it won't let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment