Friday, June 29, 2012

Cannibalistic Bullfrogs and Boggy-Hillocks Batman!

The other day, my niece was telling me about a website that will give you a hobbit name, and it was really fun and entertaining, and we were having a great time laughing at the silliness of it all. And one of the last names it generated was Boggy Hillocks, which is just hilarious, and should be used as an exclamatory phrase whenever possible. "Boggy Hillocks, I lost my keys!" or "Oh, Boggy-Hillocks, I forgot!"

And that reminded me of another funny phrase. I was working with some records one day (paper records, that is. Not that many people know what a vinyl record is anymore, but just in case you were confused), and my co-worker found some records about a guy's trip down south where he encountered cannibalistic bullfrogs. Isn't that a great phrase? "Cannibalistic bullfrogs!" Works for frustration, excitement, or general silliness. And, honestly, can you come up with a better name for a band? I would totally go listen to a band called the Cannibalistic Bullfrogs (as long as they weren't heavy metal or something like that, which just isn't my thing).

Words are so much fun. I am kind of a nerd about words, and have been known to flip through the dictionary looking for fun new words. I am not a favorites person, but I have a favorite word (defenestrate. I just love that we have a word that means that). My favorite shows and books are the ones that have a creative use of language. Clever use of language is a sign of real wit.

I have one simple rule when it comes to words. If you can communicate your meaning with it, it is a word. Gives a lot of leeway to proper speech. And leads to a lot of fun.

So, yeah. I don't think this post really has much of a point, other than words are cool and you should have lots of fun with them. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment