Friday, July 19, 2024

Fare thee well?

How did your global tech outage Friday go? 

Mine was okay. I had an early morning meeting (like, before-I-even-drag-myself-out-of-bed-usually early) and so I was trying to get my laptop going while walking to my office, and no dice. I was part of the lucky blue screen of death contingent. I kind of knew that it was maybe bigger than just me, because I saw another computer (unattended) with the blue screen of death, which, oddly was a little hopeful because it meant it was maybe not just my computer that was going to be a nightmare.

Which was later confirmed by a conversation from the other side of the cubicles, so a good news bad news situation. And also, my day wasn't nearly as bad as the people who worked at the place responsible for the glitch.

And, for me I lucked out because it was on a Friday and no one comes into the office on Friday, so when I went to get help in person from the tech guys, there was no wait. Seriously, it took like 3 minutes! The phone? I hadn't even gotten through after 20. Lo, the perks of working in the office.

Sadly, I never really recovered from the first 4 hours of not really being able to get much done. I rallied a bit at the end of the day, but just lost momentum early on. But it has been a fairly successful week so it will work out. And, I had a chance to clean my office a bit, which I've been needing to do for ages--another bit of silver lining. 

I hope your outage day was as smooth as mine, but also that in years to come, you will do at least a little bit of embellishing when, in twenty years, you tell your kids or grandkids or whatever youngster is around where you were when the world's tech shut down.

No comments:

Post a Comment