Monday, February 28, 2022

Unprecedented times

I don't know that we are particularly unique in our experiences of unprecedented times. From a practical perspective, if we are making progress, then all times are unprecedented. And, also from a practical perspective, people haven't evolved that much, and so we do have a tendency to just repeat history over and over, adding our own variations.

That being said, I don't love it. It's much more comfortable to read about unprecedented times than to live through them. And there is something eerie? disconcerting? surreal? about watching the news and feeling deja vu from when I read The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.* Unlike that book, though, I don't know the end of the story. 

There are also so many layers on which to contemplate our current global situation.** Considering it in view of the Cold War experience, parallels to WWII, and other conflicts. Analyzing the media coverage and the role it plays. The oddity of considering what could happen in the world tomorrow, and yet also trying to figure out everything I need to do at work and after work--such mundane things*** that seem absurd in considering where things could go yet life goes on. Such a weird thing about life! And something often left out of the historical account (thank goodness for historical fiction).

I don't know how things will play out. I think I'm pretty realistic so I don't think we'll get the best-case scenario (seems a bit late for that anyway), but I'm a long-run optimist, so I'm willing to hope we won't get the worst-case scenario. But I can confirm that uncertainty really isn't my jam.**** 

*Which, had I read more on the Spanish Flu Epidemic, I'd probably have had a similar experience. 
**Yes, specifically Russia and Ukraine, but I think the sentiments apply more broadly. 
***Although, I work in archives, and this is kind of a moment for an archivist. But it won't have a direct impact on my specific work, just my profession. 
****Which is why in a hypothetical zombie apocalypse, I plan to just let them bite me and get it over with. I just can't stand the stress and anxiety of trying to avoid it. (Thank goodness I don't believe in zombie apocalypses). 

No comments:

Post a Comment