Sunday, February 13, 2022

Recurring dreams

My adulthood recurring dreams aren't the stuff of nightmares, but they're definitely, well, mares, I guess?*

They really are about boring adult stressful things. For example, one of my recurring dreams is that I'm back at an old job, and I haven't shown up for work and I don't even know if I still have a job there, because I work there but I also don't, and like I say, I haven't shown up for ages. Yep. That's not stressful at all. Anyway, the nice thing is, in the dream, I always realize I have another full-time job and that's why I haven't shown up for the old one. Thank you, brain, for keeping it real.

The other recurring one I have a lot is that I'm back in school. Usually high school or undergrad, but one time grade school. Yeah. I know. Weird. Anyway, I'm back in school and I don't know where any of my classes are and I don't know my schedule and I haven't done any of the assignments and it's almost the end of the semester. Fun thing about this one is my dream self always hits a point where she says, "I have a Master's degree, who cares if I don't have my high school diploma?!"**

One weekend, I had a series of dreams about no one listening to me. And me being right and they should have listened to me. Sadly, dream brain didn't help me out on this one. (Not really sure what that would have looked like. Realizing in the dream that I was in a Truman Show scenario? That would be SO much worse!) 

So, basically, what I'm saying is my dreams are too much like life which just seems like a waste of good sleep. Also, I really appreciate my sometimes clever brain that says, "This girl has enough stress in her life, she doesn't need it in her dreams too. Pull the plug!" 

*Yes, that is a reference to Doctor Who Season 5 (not classic season 5, the new Doctor Who season 5) "Amy's Choice" episode. 
**I know. If I really didn't have a high school diploma, but had a graduate degree, it would indicate that there was maybe some fraud going on. But, guys. It's a dream. Things don't have to make sense, clearly. Because it makes no sense that I would be completely oblivious to the fact that I was enrolled in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment