Sunday, February 6, 2022

Taking exhaustion to new levels

I have been tired for a long time. Most of the time, my mornings involve me waking up feeling like absolutely nothing has been accomplished by me spending any time in bed because I am just as tired as I was when I went to sleep. Not entirely accurate, because I love my bed and enjoy being in it, but in terms of restfulness, not sure how much I'm accomplishing. 

For the past couple of weeks, my brain has decided to pull this fun stunt where it just wakes me up in the middle of the night for no reason whatsoever. Side note, brains really aren't good at taking instructions. Because during this same time period, I've gone to bed absolutely exhausted--like, my whole body is screaming, "We just want to sleep!"--and I finally hit the sack and my brain is all, "Well, that was fun, but let's not go to sleep just yet, hey?" I mean, seriously?!

Anyway, after almost two weeks of random "say hello to the middle of the night" madness, I had hit a whole new level of exhaustion. Which seemed impossible, because especially for the duration of the pandemic, it seems I've been hitting whole new levels of exhaustion fairly regularly. At some point, you'd think I'd have plumbed the depths, yet here I am, still encountering new levels. Not to be punny, but I'm kind of tired of it.* 

I pitched the idea to a colleague of writing a book about the depths of exhaustion. I mean, I might as well accomplish something from my sleep-deprived shenanigans. But another coworker had an even better idea. See, we are very focused on cultural competency and DEI at work right now. I work for an institution representing a global church. There are even 3 full-time international employees on my team. So, my coworker, KS, suggested us adopting some of the cultural practices of our international employees. Such as siesta. Which is totally a thing--I spent a semester in the Dominican Republic and enjoyed many afternoon naps (which, as a student, you can imagine was amazing). I am totally on board with this. And, I'm supposed to set a goal for the year focused on cultural competency, so...siesta! Right?! Sounds perfect to me. 

Sleep well, everyone. 

*You're right. That was absolutely me being punny. On purpose. This one goes out to my brother-in-law, currently in training for a Masters in Punnery.

No comments:

Post a Comment