Sunday, June 30, 2019

Worst Spy Ever, or James Bond stinks at his job

So, I'm not a huge James Bond fan and here's the reason why: James Bond is really bad at his job. 

Now, some caveats to begin with: I've only watched the more recent James Bond movies (think Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig), and I haven't even watched all of them. I've never watched one more than once. I'm not anti-James Bond, I'm more just "meh" about him. I'd sit through one and I wouldn't even hate it, but I'm not likely to be in a Bond sort of mood.

I don't know all the reasons that James Bond isn't my cup of tea. I like spy movies, I like action. But one thing that does bug me about Bond is how absolutely horrible he is at his job. He's seriously one of the most incompetent spies ever.

The point of a spy is to go unnoticed, yet Bond always seems to be blowing up cities behind him. And I have heard interviews with one or two actual spies, and the lady thing was, well, a thing for them. So I guess that's not that unrealistic, but it does seem to be problematic for the work of a spy, to be having flings left, right and center. Bond just doesn't do unobtrusive very well, and it seems to me like that would make it very difficult for him to be successful as a spy.

Granted, it does make for a more exciting movie, but I felt like the plots were secondary to explosions and hot women (maybe the plot was the undercover element of the movies?). I could be wrong on that, since it's been awhile and maybe I just missed something the first go around. But it also seems Bond as a character doesn't develop much? Maybe I need to watch the earlier ones? I don't know. 

And it's totally cool if you are a Bond fan. I don't mind that one bit, and like I say, I'd even sit and watch one with you. And not hate it, and likely even enjoy it at least a bit. Maybe I'll even love it! But, he is still just really bad at his job. 

No comments:

Post a Comment