Saturday, February 4, 2017

Would you rather

This week I finally got the permanent crown on the tooth that broke in mid-December. In the process of getting the tooth fixed, I had a root canal and we all know the reputation of root canals: horrible.

But it actually wasn't so bad. In fact I can think of a lot of things that are worse than root canals. For example, I would rather have a root canal than:

-A pulled hamstring. Those things are miserable.
-Be searching for a job. Root canals are less stressful, faster, and easier on the soul.
-Engage in some kinds of public speaking. Like presenting at an academic conference you've never attended.
-Move. Not the excitement of a new place. I'm talking about the actual packing up and loading a van and dealing with all the paperwork.
-Vote. Especially in national elections. Especially the 2016 election. Honestly, I'd rather have multiple root canals than live through another 2016-esque campaign.
-Sit through some of my grad school classes. I think averaging the cost, the root canal is probably cheaper, too.
-Write a manual. Ugh. Manuals require so much brain power. Root canals only require opening wide.
-Jury duty. I don't know this one from personal experience, but I have a strong feeling I'd rather have a root canal.
-Play a piano solo in front of an audience. I think this one is really a coin toss, but in some ways, the root canal is way less terrifying.

Yeah, so the root canal wasn't that bad. Not that I want to sign up for them on a regular basis, but there are definitely worse things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment