Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Lethargy of February

Is it just me, or is this year sapping everyone else's energy? Maybe it is just that it's February.

I feel a bit bad for February. It's really not a bad month. It's short and sweet, and you can see it gradually staying lighter longer. It should be very hopeful.

But then it does things like throw 3 days in the 50s and 60s and then drop down to the high 20s. We've lost interest in the newness of the year that January offers, it's not quite the edge of spring, and if you live in a snow climate, it's that time of year when the snow has lost its white beauty and turned into a physical representation of pollution. (Unless we get lucky enough to get a fresh layer of snow).

Even the major holidays are a little melancholy. Groundhog's day? Meh. President's Day? I think most of us will just want to cry. Valentine's Day? Hopefully that's a great day for someone, but when you are buying yourself chocolates, it's less of a thrill.

Still, it's not the only month with rotten weather and boring holidays. I mean, have you lived through August? Hot, zero holidays (although in my family, there are lots of birthdays), and the dread of starting school (not an issue for us real world folks, where summer vacation doesn't exist).

And February in the Southern hemisphere is probably really awesome. Also, lots of places have spring break in February*. I discovered Doctor Strange becomes available for purchase in February, and there are two new books coming out, so I get to look forward to that. I finished one of my projects (built and stained a nightstand. Long live Ikea). I actually get President's day off. If you don't like Valentine's day, you can celebrate Ferris Wheel day instead. (Sounds way more fun). And, even though it seems like the year is flying, there are still 322 days left.

Still. It's February, and I'm just tired. I need a vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment