Sunday, February 26, 2017

Smoke gets in your eyes

Tonight, I tried a new recipe for a skillet pizza for two. I was pretty excited and it was turning out to be a lot easier than I expected (although, lots of dish washing). I did make the mistake of putting in too much oil--teaspoon, tablespoon, so close--but figured it wasn't that big of a deal.

So, I get to the point in the recipe where you cook the pizza on the stove, just til the crust starts puffing up, because then you throw it in the oven. And, I figured I had a minute or two (or five?) and dashed into my room to take care of something. Where I got distracted. And, either I was distracted longer than I thought or it really doesn't take that long for the crust to start puffing up, or more likely both of those things, because when I came out my house was full of smoke


and the bottom of the crust looked like this:

Distractions are the number one cause of kitchen accidents in my world. 


The bad news:
My smoke alarm didn't go off. Do I even have one? Because it seriously should have gone off. I couldn't even see across the kitchen there was so much smoke.
Everything in the house, including me, is going to be permeated with the smell of smoke. And I have to be to work at 7:30 tomorrow and really don't want to wash my hair. So, I either go to work smelling like a bonfire (there are worse things, but it's not ideal), or I have to get up and do the full deal shower.
I'm clearly not eating pizza for lunch tomorrow. Although, I was able to scrape the top layer off. But it's mostly cheese and a thin layer of crust, thinner than thin crust crust. So I could eat it, but do I want to?
I had also contemplated making a cake to take to work, but that isn't going to happen. It would taste like campfire.
I am sitting in my house with the windows open and the AC fan running, and it is 38 degrees outside.
It sort of warped the skillet I cooked it in.

The good news:
I have enough ingredients to try it again, and since I doubled the sauce recipe (because seriously, what am I going to do with half a can of diced tomatoes?), half the work is over!
I don't have to make a cake tonight. Which is great, because I am tired of doing dishes.
I can eat sort-of pizza for lunch tomorrow.
A quick jiggery doo and the skillet is more or less back in shape. And it wasn't even hard to clean.
The house didn't catch on fire.
The smoke is mostly gone, so I can turn off the AC and close the windows soon. And it isn't even that cold.
No one really gets close enough to smell my hair at work anyway. It would be weird if they did. So maybe I can get away with not washing and styling it. Fingers crossed.





No comments:

Post a Comment