Friday, February 19, 2016

Who Knew? Take 2

Upon falling into a family history rabbit hole, I learned that once upon a time, there was a proposed state of Franklin. It didn't last, but still. And of course, one link leads to another and I discovered that there is a whole list of proposed-but-failed states. They really should teach this stuff in history.  

Further, did you know there is a thing called Thunder Snow? I experienced it today for the first time in my awareness (who knows, maybe I've experienced it before without knowing). There we were at work, watching this great snowstorm take off, and all of a sudden several nice loud thunder claps and even a flash of lightning (which I didn't catch, but my co-worker did). 

I also learned, from the delightful podcast The Allusionist, that filibuster used to mean freebooter, which referred to pirates in the late 1500s, as you too can learn in this episode. (And freebooter of course made me think of Hello Internet, and to give credit where credit is due and NOT be a freebooter, you can listen to them discuss freebooting here, and in many subsequent podcasts.) I would vote for pirate hat and eye patch, but not the hook, and I'm undecided on the parrot. 

Finally, I learned that my Lotus Elise would be cobalt blue, and I'd stick with the Elise and not go any of the packs--with the Elise you have the option for everything, but with the sports tourer pack or the race tech pack, there are some options you can't have. It's so appropriate that an anglophile such as myself shares a name with a British car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment