Sunday, May 17, 2015

Backup Plans

I think one of the constants in life is it doesn't go as planned, so it's always good to have a backup plan. I've been building a list of them, which at one point included becoming prime minister of Italy. See, I heard that only a crazy person would want to have that job. I figured I already met the most basic qualification. Unfortunately, they found an Italian with the same qualification.

The good news is that moving to another country to take up a leadership position that only a lunatic would want is back on the table: "Anyone applying for the job of England head coach would be 'crazy'", according to this article. So, all I have to do is learn cricket. Easy-peasy.

With 'crazy leadership job' back on, here's what the list looks like:

Plan A: Be an archivist.
Plan B: Go to Iceland and do something.
Plan C: Become POTUS.
Plan D: Become an HR coach and train job posters on how to post jobs and work with applicants.
Plan E: Start an outsourcing business, outsourcing things like car- and house-buying, job salary negotiation, etc.
Plan F: Move to Spain (I heard a while back that they were practically giving away land).
Plan G: Coach the England cricket team.
Plan H: Start-up country. The internet says it can't be done, but just the phrase "start-up country" is a dare. Didn't you hear it? I heard it.
Plan I: Become grant-funded. Have you seen the things you can get grants for? I'm pretty sure I can compete in that market.
Plan J: Become a writer. Come on, everyone's doing it.
Plan Z: Start a bakery. (Yes, I know. Z does not come after J. But the bakery thing--definitely something I'd do with much reluctance. The stress, people, the stress! And the calories! And the horror of watching something I enjoy become work!)
Plan K: Become an English-to-English translator/interpreter. We NEED this job, people.
Plan L: Be a consultant. I'd be the consultant that, people come and talk to me and I ask questions and have a discussion so they can work through the process of solving their own problem. Which would be far more constructive that what a lot of consultants do.

Really, I just want to be an archivist. I'm good at it and I like doing it. So, hopefully, Plan A will work out. Because I'm pretty sure the world would be a better place if I was in an archive and not coaching cricket. (Maybe less entertaining, but probably safer).



No comments:

Post a Comment