Monday, July 28, 2014

kid in a toystore

My nephew wanted a Nerf Bow and Arrow for his birthday, just like his sister's only blue. For some inexplicable and unfathomable reason, Nerf does not have the good sense to make a bow and arrow for boys that isn't some weird looking thing with enormous darts. I didn't want to disappoint him, so I said, "Let's go shopping and you can look and see if you like it."

What I didn't realize is that he'd never been to a Toys 'R' Us. If you have never accompanied a child in a toy store, you should. It is a wonderful experience. There is just this sense of amazement that there could possibly be so many toys, and then there is this anxious need to try out EVERYTHING. So many buttons to push, lights to light up, things to touch and see. Things he'd never even imagined existed were staring him in the face and how could he not want them?

Needless to say, the bow and arrow was quickly overshadowed (in my opinion, it is still pretty darn cool) by all the options. But there was so much to choose from, how could he possibly decide? And I, his all-knowing (ha ha) aunt, thought I was sure he really did want the bow and arrow, and kept trying to steer him in that direction.

Now, to be fair, he really would have a blast with the bow and arrow. Nerf toys are awesome (I own some myself) and had he just been presented with 3 Nerf options, he would have picked one and been perfectly content. But it was eclipsed by the other possibilities. What really surprised me, though, was that he kept coming back to the bubbles. He wanted a bubble machine, and he even knew which style. I pointed out that he'd have to get more bubbles when they ran out, though (stupid me. I should have kept my mouth shut), and that seemed to be a major disadvantage: what fun is a toy that blows bubbles if you run out of bubbles?

I think in the end it worked out, though. He chose a giant (64 oz.) bottle of bubbles and a Lego Mixel. And, turns out his mom hasn't gotten around to birthday present shopping, so the bubble machine is an option now--and since he has a huge bottle of bubbles, what better present?

But I did learn some things. First, when going to a toy store with a kid, give yourself lots of time. Second, for young kids, they don't need tons of options, really. Even my nephew knew that he wasn't really interested in a lot of the stuff he saw. There were really only 3 or 4 options he was really considering. So, if possible, just pick something for them. They'll probably like it. Third, don't let your opinions and practicality get in the way. And finally, there really is something about a kid in a toy store.

No comments:

Post a Comment