Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July Christmas

After 2 years and 2 months of waiting and dust and distance, my books and I finally wound up in the same geographic location. It was like Christmas, and so, what else was there to do but plug in the Christmas tree, turn on the Christmas music, and "unwrap" my treasures?


Here's the starting pile. I did have one or two boxes that had traveled with me during the last 2 years. But 10 boxes were left in storage feeling unloved. I swear, though, I missed them!

 And the opening began. "I have that book? Oh, and I forgot about that one! And my WWII book collection, how could I have forgotten you?"

My annotated The Hobbit was one of those books I referenced many times in the last couple of years. It's nice to have it back on the shelf!

 Here they all are, just waiting to be loved and read and displayed. For people to browse them, read their spines, and curl up on a couch with them. Books don't belong in boxes!
Of course, the archivist/arranger in me did have to create categories and some form of organization. Thus the piles on the floor.













 But here they are, on the shelf at last. I love looking at people's bookshelves. You can tell a lot about a person looking at their bookshelves.





 There was only one problem: I ran out of space on the shelves! And so, four boxes had to remain packed up, until another bookshelf can be procured. (I'm sorry books, I don't love you less! I promise!) And then, maybe we'll have Christmas again...

No comments:

Post a Comment