Sunday, April 27, 2014

Vroom Vroom

Today after church, I got in the car I rented and I just drove. I drove all over town, not worried about being on time for anything or being anywhere in particular or putting miles on the car or gas mileage. I drove just to drive. I really enjoy driving, which is probably unfortunate because I have a feeling I'm not the greatest driver (I am better without people in the car. When people are in the car with me, I feel like I need to play hostess and entertain them. Not something you should do while driving).

I thought about stopping at different places--the lake or the river, but I realized what I really wanted to do was just drive. Drive and drive and drive. I would have driven longer except I was running out of places to drive to. What I really wanted to do was leave town, but I figured I should probably go home and eat something. (Boring.)

The whole time, I thought about stuff. I thought about all the worries I've got, and I thought a lot about how I miss having a car and all the things I could do so much more easily if I had one. Like, go to a park, or go to see the lake or the river, or visit someone. I live in a place that has a decent bus system, but I have to add at least half an hour to any travel time (and that's only one way). Also, the bus doesn't go to a lot of places, so there are things I can't do unless I want to walk. A lot. Which means there's no time to do what I actually want to do. Also, buses mean you have to have a schedule. You have to be back at a certain time, so a relaxed outing isn't an option. It's a huge waste of time in one way or another and there isn't a lot of freedom.

So, today I just enjoyed having something to drive. And maybe sometime soon, I can plan a real trip with lots of driving to go somewhere more interesting. One can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment