Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Offline

Today at work, we had this huge switch over to a new IT setup. The assurance leading up to the process was, "You'll be able to come in the next day, and you won't even notice the difference." Bless them, they tried their best, but, well, computers will be computers, which means they are going defenestrate your beautifully laid plans and do whatever they feel like doing.*

Anyway, the disruption didn't really bother me, because I have about 150 boxes of paper to go through, so I can keep busy without a computer. The funny thing is, my computer really did seem to transition quite smoothly. The tech guy came in to download programs, I wandered off to do other things, and when I came back it was ready to go. In fact it was unnerving how smoothly it went, because everyone else seemed to have one snag or another. (My boss actually had an error that they'd never seen before, and they've been transitioning thousands of computers. I feel like he should get a prize or something). The lack of hiccups made me seemed abnormally ominous. Anyway, the tech guys ended up spending half of their day fixing things. The best part is they get to come in and do it all over again with the other half of the building tomorrow. Better them than me.

Nope, I'm content to sit around with my boxes of paper, where the biggest technical problems are staples, excessive use of binder clips, and the occasional paper cut.

*This isn't really that surprising. I mean, they are made by people, and people aren't very great at perfect. The really mind-boggling thing is that we continue to think that this time will be different. And that we have basically turned our world over to them. All those sci-fi books about computers taking over the world? Yeah. Try history. It's already happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment