Wednesday, May 29, 2013

One of those moments

I just had what I call a Harry Potter moment. I call them that because when watching the movies, I so often find that they never do the logical thing. For example, instead of telling a teacher that something terrible has happened or might happen or what have you, like a rational person would do, they decide to solve the problem themselves. (The movies somehow make this irrational behavior more apparent).

Now, I get that this is a plot device, and no one would want to read a book about a kid who just made sure that adults had all the information. Boring. But that's not my point.

My point is, I find that I do the same thing all the time! Okay, maybe not ALL the time, but way more often than I want to. Today's example: I was expecting a phone call. The phone call never came. After waiting half an hour, I finally gave up and went home. It was just before I got on the bus that my phone gave me the alarm indicating I had a voicemail message. Meaning, I'd missed the call. Correction: meaning my phone failed to work the way it is supposed to, namely, by ringing when a call comes in. (Honestly. I aspire to have a landline someday). And just now, literally 5 minutes ago, I thought, "Why didn't I call them?" That thought didn't even cross my mind at the time. Never even presented itself in the tiniest form. It took 5 hours for me to have that embarrassingly simple and highly rational thought.

Harry Potter moment. And while part of me feels stupid and frustrated with myself, another part (possibly a bigger part) can see exactly why it never occurred to me to call, and can't get up the energy to be too critical.  And, on the bright side, the future of the wizarding world doesn't depend on my rational or irrational behavior, so I think today I'm just going to cut myself some slack.

No comments:

Post a Comment