Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Home Sweet Home

This weekend, I flew home for my brother's wedding. It's the first time in 2 1/2 years that I've been home. (I've been close to home a few times, and I've seen family. And talked to them. But I haven't actually been home). I am proud to say, the dog remembered me, and still loves me. And I wish more than ever that I could bring her home with me, but it isn't an option. Sadly. Anyway, she was very excited, and we got to do all the old fun things together, and it was still the same old fun, which was nice.

I also got to meet a nephew for the first time (he's adorable) and re-meet some nieces and nephews that I haven't seen live for the said 2 1/2 years, as well as endear myself to a nephew that I saw a year and a half ago (give or take), who didn't appreciate me quite so much at the time. Although he really liked the Hippo song and watching Phineas and Ferb. It was just me he wasn't entirely sure of. But, I think we overcame any obstacles. And I had a lot of fun with him. All of the mentioned children are darling. Seriously adorable.

And I learned to play a new game, which is unsurprising because my game brother was there. The game basically consists of 10 minutes of absolute chaos, but it was fun. And I liked the house rules, invented by the 4-year old and involving teleportation.

It was also the first time in five years that all of my siblings have been in the same place at the same time. There are 8 of us, so that makes it trickier, but we were all there. And I was so proud to be part of that family! It was amazing to be there with them.

The only weird thing about it was that feeling of being out of context. Or, more precisely, re-contexted. It is still sometimes mind-boggling to me that I sit on a plane for 4 hours, and am in a completely different place, miles and miles and MILES from where I was that morning. Surrounded by different people, who have no idea what my normal residence looks like. And I can drop into that new context and be right at home there, but somehow, not completely me. It is weird, and I guess you'd probably have to have felt that to really get it, because it's a sense, more than something to be verbalized. I don't know if it's bad, it's just ... interesting.

Anyway, I'm back now, and missing the kids and the dog and the family. I've never really wanted to move back home, and I don't think that has changed. But I sure do wish that I was closer to more of my family. Because they are good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment