Tuesday, April 30, 2013

All the reasons adulthood is overrated

1. There is no allowance. Sure, you get a paycheck (hopefully!), but it's not the same as an allowance. Although, I never had an allowance as a kid, so I can't say for sure.

2. All the decisions you make are higher stakes. It's not that kids don't have decisions, but there aren't as many life-altering decisions when you are ten. And, there is generally someone to steer you right if you make the wrong one. 

3. All the games from childhood are now real. And somehow, not play. I love to make messes in the kitchen, but there's a certain element of imagination that is gone from it these days. Plus, the dishes have to be washed for real. Although, driving a real car is way better than pretending.

4. People don't think you are as inherently funny and adorable as an adult. 

5. There's no one to cuddle you when you are sad, no lap to sit on so you can just be held as an adult. "Let me kiss it better" isn't an option anymore. 

6. Meetings. I'm just saying. 

7. There is no summer vacation. Welcome to the real world, where life keeps going for all twelve months of the year. 

8. You are supposed to know the answers, but you still haven't gotten the handbook. And, yeah, don't forget number 2, higher stakes. Good times. (Honestly, adults are just winging it. Don't be fooled). 

And now, for the honest truth. Even though adulthood isn't all it's cracked up to be, I wouldn't go back. To be happy as a child, I'd have to give up everything I know and have learned and become, and I think the price is more than I want to pay. But I wouldn't say no to a handbook. Or summer vacation. Or something.



No comments:

Post a Comment