Friday, July 13, 2012

Ad Lib

I've been applying for jobs, and contemplating what type of interview questions might come up. There is the classic "What is your greatest weakness?" (I had an interview, and they specified I could not use the words "workaholic" or "overachiever" in my answer. I gave them 50 points).  It got me thinking, do they ever ask what your strength is? Because, I think I know the answer to that question. If there is one thing I'm good at, it's winging it. Seriously. I've been doing it for many years.

I suppose I really shouldn't say I'm good at it. I have no idea how successful I am at winging it, I may just be kidding myself. But, I can say with a great deal of certainly that I have no clue what I'm doing. I know I'm supposed to be an adult and all, and that implies having some sort of plan and experience and knowledge about life, but I don't. If there is a manual or something out there, I'd love to see a copy. I get up in the morning, and fake it through the day.

Most things, that is okay. I mean, when I make decisions about when to get an oil change, or what to do after work, it's not that crucial what happens. Should I shop at Store A or Store B? Eh, pick one, act like you have a clue. No biggie. But there are some decisions, some things you do, that it kind of does matter. For example, starting a new job. Now, I think there is an element of winging it in that situation, no matter how qualified you are. You are trying to do a good job, impress your employers, get the hang of things. You can never know exactly how things are going to go, so yes, you wing it. And being able to wing it is really important in this case. Because it means that you can deal with the unexpected. Winging it gives you a lot of creative thinking skills. And that is very useful in life. Because life is never what you expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment