Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Election boos

For the past couple of months, one of the ads that I keep seeing on YouTube is from a candidate running for US Congress asking for money. Which is as annoying as anyone asking for money, which would be pretty minor overall. The thing is, this candidate is not running for office in my state. 

Now, this could be an algorithm problem (yet more evidence that we shouldn't put all our eggs in the algorithm/AI basket), where it's the tools fault. But it could also be a political system error. 

I shouldn't be participating in an election campaign for a state congressman if it isn't my state. In my sister's state, they have companies form other states funding election campaigns. I think that is also wrong. Why should someone or some company from another state have any say in who represents me and my state? I have a hard enough time getting represented in my state with just my state's voters voting. And I bet most other people feel the same way.

I know there are lots of conversations about what is wrong with the political system and US elections, the biggest one being the electoral college. But I can't help but think there are a lot of tweaks we could make without needing a constitutional amendment. 

Anyway, for what it's worth, I will not be funding this candidate. Their ads get skipped as soon as possible. Just me, doing my part to be a fair political participant. You're welcome. And if YouTube is listening (hahahahahaha), you should fix the algorithm.

No comments:

Post a Comment