Sunday, September 27, 2026

The anti-Costco

I like Costco. I don't buy much there, because I am a single person in a small apartment and don't have space for 900 rolls of toilet paper, alas, but I do like Costco, and I do have a freezer and lots of things freeze. Around this time of year, they have really great puzzles for $10 (very dangerous for my budget and for my space limitations). And there are things that even for a single person make sense to buy in bulk.

But I think someone needs to develop a store that is the opposite of Costco. Instead of big box, we're talking jewelry box, for a ring. A store where you can get your tablespoon of spice, or half cup jar of whatever special ingredient you need for a meal you make once a year. Where you can buy half a loaf of bread. A store where things are catered not to single meals, like meal kits, but to single people. 

Realistically, most things from a normal grocery store are not a big deal, you can make them work for a single person. But then when you do buy something at a normal grocery store for one person, it is way more expensive than buying in bulk. And the spices and condiments and all of that? Yeah, as a single person, I don't go through that very quickly. The number of bottles of apple cider vinegar I have abandoned over the years! So maybe it's just a spice and condiment jewelry box store we need. But something like that. And, according to the news, now is the time, because the population is declining, so we have smaller and smaller family sizes. It could be the new niche thing! Instead of the footlong hot dog, they could sell the mini appetizer hot dogs!!! 

Maybe there is a place out there that already exists, and I just haven't found it (or they haven't marketed it well?). Or I just don't know the tricks of good grocery shopping. Or I'm not very neighborly, so I don't have anyone to borrow a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar from. But, I still think it would be a good idea. Costco Mini. I'd definitely be a member!

No comments:

Post a Comment