Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Ruins, an owl, and a rare elevated view

These are from a trip to Chihuahua, Mexico, I took at the end of June/early July. I liked having a more realistic view of what that part of Mexico looks like. (I think it just gets painted as a desert with nothing there, which is obviously not the case). Chihuahua is the home of Paquimé, an archaeological zone that was home to the Mogollon. And no, I had never heard of them, but the ruins are very different from others I've seen (and I've seen a few in the last year).  Very labyrinthine. 

We also visited a couple of cemeteries, which might sound weird, but cemeteries (or panteones) are really interesting places. I enjoy a good cemeteries. These ones were sparse on the shade, but really interesting, and I made the acquaintance of an owl who missed the memo that it was his bedtime.

Finally, we drove up to the tops of the hills and got a great not-quite-aerial-but definitely-an-elevated view of the area. I don't get chances to take shots like that often, so I loved it. 

Chihuahua reminded me very much of home. Which just goes to show that national borders are really arbitrary compared to the actual terrain they cross. That definitely stuck out a lot on this trip. But I enjoyed Chihuahua, and enjoyed seeing a different part of Mexico. 














No comments:

Post a Comment