Sunday, June 25, 2023

Suitcase living

I've done a lot  of travel in the past year (you may have noticed). On my last trip, I spent two weeks with a 24" suitcase and had a bunch of stuff I didn't even use. 

Then I came home and had the realization that I have a LOT of stuff. And I can survive with a lot less.

Of course, you do have to account for the fact that there are a lot of things you don't need when you are traveling that are very handy other times. And even a lot of the stuff I have for every day living, I maybe don't use it all the time but when I do, it's super helpful. I don't play games every day, but I love having them for the times I do want them. And I don't typically have time to workout when I'm traveling for work, so I don't take my sneakers (unless I want them for hiking ruins). Definitely not going to travel with my piano.

But in terms of a lot of other things, yeah. It's just a lot of stuff. 

I think that's probably okay up to a point. I mean, as long as I know what is needed and what is just nice and what is just an absolutely ridiculous waste. As long as I'm not spending more than I have, and I'm taking care of the future and not just the present. And, I also want to be thinking about whether something is just going to end up in the garbage. I'm not always good at it, but there are a lot of things beyond my control when it comes to caring for the planet, and one that I can control is how much I buy that maybe I don't need. (Even then...there is definitely something magical about having a Harry Potter wand in your hand. Do I need it? No. But it does make me weirdly happy. And what is life if you can't have things that do nothing other than make you happy once in a while?!)

I definitely don't think we should all adopt suitcase living. It's super disorganized, for one thing, even with packing cubes! But, it is a good reminder that maybe I need less than I think I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment