Sunday, April 23, 2023

Just a touch

Yesterday I got back from a 12 day trip to Guatemala (Guatemala City, Antigua, Cobán, Senahú, Huehuetenango, Flores, San Benito, and Tikal). And the thing that I will miss the most about Guatemala (and that I have missed about other countries, but that for some reason I was really aware of in Guatemala) is that everyone either shakes my hand (men) or gives me a hug (women). And I love it!

I know there are reasons not to impose that kind of physical contact on people and I totally respect that but I absolutely loved all the hugs. I loved that everyone stopped and greeted me, even if they hadn't done anything with me. And when I got home, things felt just a little empty. 

Every culture has it's strengths and weaknesses, but I definitely think that this openness is one of the strengths of a lot of Latin American countries. 

Abrazos!

No comments:

Post a Comment