Wednesday, June 1, 2022

My place in the world

I don't like being in charge. The top spot is definitely not my thing.

What I do like is being behind the scenes. I really like the times at work when I contribute to a big project--an important one--but no one knows. I actually used to refer to myself as a certain coworker's unofficial assistant. She gets so many big projects and it always makes me feel good to know that she knows she can reach out to me if she needs help, or my particular skills. And then I like to see the project when it's all done and know that, hey, I helped pull that off. But don't have to do any interviews or photo ops!

That's not to say I don't tell my friends and family about my contribution. It is exciting to be able to tell them that I helped with that video you are watching, or whatever. But, I don't need the world to know. I like to be behind the scenes, doing my bit, knowing that I've helped out. Sometimes, the stuff I work on goes global. And sometimes, it's only one individual who is helped (which is sometimes even better than global!). Doesn't matter to me. I just like it when my work helps out. 

The good news is my work is pretty much always useful. I know a lot of people don't know that archives are cool and useful and public and they should visit them. But the work, to me at least, has value. And I like doing the work. And don't need a fuss made about doing it. 

It's fine if you are different. Great even, because then you can do all the limelight stuff, and I can keep doing my thing! But I definitely don't love being in charge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment