Sunday, June 20, 2021

Really?

I saw an ad a while back and was just a bit disappointed in humanity. I don't remember what the product was, the but tag line was: "Worship yourself. The world will follow."

Am I the only one that finds this, well, awful? Don't get me wrong. I'm all for a healthy sense of self-worth. And confidence. Those are both good things. But this seems like something way beyond that. 

Now, maybe it's just my introversion speaking. The idea of having the world follow me in any way, shape, or form, is incredibly unappealing.

Or maybe I've just had some bad experiences with people who were narcissistic and all about the self-worship. It never ended well for me or the people I cared about. In my experience, such a thing can only end in tears. 

Maybe I just am too aware of my flaws as a human being. I can say with absolute one-million-percent confidence that NO ONE should worship me. Ever. If I can just manage to be a decent human being for more then 10 minutes at a time, I feel like I'm winning the lottery. Earning someone's respect is an honor above honors. I just don't see why I need worship. Ick. Yuck. Blech. Please, no.

And given the fact that I can't even remember the product, clearly I wasn't their target consumer, so I guess we're all good. I didn't need what they were selling, and they weren't trying to sell to me. But I do hope that no one will be disappointed when I don't join the world in worshipping them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment