Saturday, September 12, 2020

First world problem

I have this problem. There are too many books to read and I don't have time to read them all. 

Admittedly, this is a brilliant problem to have. Have you considered all the problems you could have in your life? Famine, poverty, abuse, war, discrimination, illiteracy, disability, or a billion other massive and actual real problems. 

Also, given that the purpose of life is not actually to just read everything you can so you know a ton*, it's hard to even classify it as a problem. Maybe a minor inconvenience at best? 

And there are actually some real benefits that come from my little challenge. For example, I have to seriously consider how I am using the resources available to me--time, money, emotion**. Which means I'm becoming a wiser steward of said resources. Theoretically. I'll be honest, it's still a bit embarrassing to see how many unread books I have on my Kindle. And in hard copy. And then I keep acquiring more. And compared to my colleagues (I work in an archive. With a lot of book lovers--librarians and archivists trend towards being bookish), I'm not even bad at all! I can walk out of a bookstore without having purchased anything. I can purge my books. But there are still so many!

So, everyone, could you help me out and make the world a little less interesting so people don't write so many books? It would really help me out. Thanks.

*No. That is not the purpose of life. It is a perk. It is something I personally find very enjoyable. But what does it matter in and of itself? The purpose of life is people--to love our neighbor, to care about each other, to improve the human experience for everyone. Trumped only by loving God, but for the non-religious among us, I think it's not too much to ask that we agree that the purpose of life is people.

**Remember when I mentioned that I needed to stop reading history? Yeah. Reading is an emotional pursuit, not just an intellectual one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment