Monday, July 6, 2020

Question of the Day

Q: Are you proud to be an American?

A: A qualified no/I reject the question.

I read that phrase in some news story yesterday and it was kind of jarring. Weirdly, especially these days, I just don't think about being proud to be an American*. I know for a fact that 20 years ago, I would have answered very differently. But these days, my brain finds the whole idea bizarre. 

It's not a political stance or anything. Admittedly, in the past 20 years I have become much more aware of US history, and particularly what our history has meant for various groups of people and countries. I spent Independence Day 2020 finishing a book about Axis and Allied involvement in Latin America during World War II**. The US did not come out looking great. And that is hardly the first (or the last) instance of the US of A getting things very, very wrong. And yes, there is plenty in our history that makes me angry. But, let's be honest. There isn't a country on earth that has a clean history. Welcome to humanity. We mess up. A lot. Yes, I am more ashamed when the US messes up, because we have such high aspirations that when we fail, it's really not great. Also, as an Estadounidense*** I feel more ownership over our wrongdoings, the same way I feel more ownership when I mess up. Hopefully that is true across the board, for all people. 

But guess what? America has also done some really great things! Welcome to humanity! We are amazing! Am I proud of that? Yes! It's great! However, in both cases, it's not a nationality thing. It's a people thing. So, it really isn't because of our history, or even our present.**** 

So what changed in the last twenty years to move me from being proud to being ambivalent? Mostly, I learned a lot more about the world. I saw more of it. I read more about it. I met more of its inhabitants. And I realized that

I guess at the moment, here's where I fall on the issue. I am not proud to be American, I am grateful. When I think of all the places in the world I could have been born, I know how good I have it. And I know that doesn't apply across the board to all Americans--just one more reason not to be proud about it. Nor do I think life would have been horrible if I had been born in Vanuatu, or Belize, or Belgium. It would have been life--with a different set of challenges, no doubt, but with a different set of blessings, as well. But I also could have been born in Syria, or Venezuela, or another place where survival isn't a guarantee at the moment. Or in a place where learning about the world isn't allowed. Or somewhere where getting water is an all-day task. I know how good I have it, and I know that one contributing factor is because I was born in the USA.***** So, no, I'm not proud. I am incredibly grateful, and very humbled. And I hope that I show that gratitude and humility by being a better human being. 

*where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died.... Seriously, it just comes naturally.
**the book is called The Tango War and I highly recommend it. 
***Spanish for United Statesian. Ish. 
****Granted there is a lot going on at the moment that doesn't thrill me. But I wasn't overly patriotic before the current mess, so that's definitely not what toned down my enthusiasm.
*****Not all of why I have it so good. Not even the most important reason why I have it so good. But, yes, a reason. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment