Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Memories

Yesterday a friend and I were chatting about stickers, and how she could have her family put stickers on her surgical shoe for her birthday. All of a sudden, out of the blue, I remembered my sticker album from when I was a kid (which, sadly, I don't still have).

I had completely forgotten about sticker collecting. I wasn't an avid collector. I mean, I didn't spend a ton of time or resources searching for new additions, but I did have a little book--well, maybe more of a booklet--where I put all the stickers I got. The pages, which is about all I can remember of the actual book.

Scented stickers were the best. My friend also liked the puff stickers. Which, I can see why, but I had a weird perfectionist streak* when I was a kid--right about the age I might have been collecting stickers--and I might have found the puff stickers problematic for keeping the book from laying flat. I may have had them, though. But I only remember the scented ones.

I haven't thought about that sticker book decades. And once I did think of it, I wished I still had it. What a treasure! That would be a delightful addition to an archival collection! And that's how my friend and I decided to start an archive that only collects materials from children. But, that's another story.

*I got over it at some point. Which may sound like a wonderful thing, but I worry I may have moved too far in the other direction. Sadly.

P.S. I felt so reminiscent I googled sticker albums to see if I could find one that resembled mine. I didn't (in the 10 minutes of searching), but I did see a picture of a scratch and sniff pickle sticker that was familiar and discovered that there is a 1980s sticker album group on Facebook, courtesy of someone else's blog. Ah, memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment