Wednesday, November 6, 2019

No robots were used in the making of this post

I was listening to a news podcast that had a segment on artificial intelligence tonight and they were talking about AI being able to write things. The good news is, I was listening to this while I was working out, so all that anger could be channeled into calorie burning. So there's that. The other good news is they anticipate that your 7-year old still needs to learn how to write, because AI won't be up for it soon enough.

There's lots of talk around AI and robots and stuff and no one has ever yet been able to answer my primary question: Why do you hate humanity so much?

Maybe AI can do things faster or better or more safely. And I'm not saying all of these advancements are bad. I'm sure that's not the case*. But why do we want them to replace us? We are essentially outsourcing our humanness to computers. Let's assume AI can learn to write a novel. But why would I want to let my computer write my novel? Then it isn't mine. So why would I want that?

I get it, there's a lot of stuff humans have done that is so far below despicable that it's not even on the same chart. I am not oblivious to the annoyances of humanity. Ask any of my friends--they'll confirm this.

However, the opposite extreme also exists. Humans have done things that are so beautiful, so wonderful, that words fail. Humanity is incredible, compassionate, stunning. Think of the goodness of the millions--billions!--of unnamed, unacknowledged, but decent, caring humans who for no other reason than that they are good and they care about people. I cherish the good of humanity and I don't see what an algorithm can bring that can even equal it. So, sorry folks. I'm pro people on this one.

I like people, believe it or not, and I think we're worth keeping around. So I personally will pass on having my existence made obsolete by the robots.

*it's a great tool. It's just that People tend to look at every tool as a Swiss Army version--it can do everything. And so often, that's not the case. We're really bad at knowing the right use for tools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment