Saturday, November 16, 2019

I've been plagiarized

And yet again I am forced to question the validity of algorithms.

This week I got an email from Amazon, everyone's favorite love 'em-and-hate 'em online Overlord. It said:

So, there are a few things going on here. First, "Elise Reynolds"? As if I haven't given them enough money in my lifetime to be on a first name basis? It's so impersonal. 

Second, you should definitely read the other five books in this series so that when Return of the Thief comes out, you're up to speed. LOVE these books! They are soooooooooo good. You need to read them. This cannot be emphasized enough.

But the real thing going on here is the question of where Amazon found this.  Would you like to know? Because I'd love to tell you. They found it in my list of orders. Yeah. I pre-ordered this item. After I pre-ordered it, the publication date got pushed back. So they then re-listed this when the new date came out. And I was looking at the relisting, which didn't have the hardcopy up yet. And then they sent me this email. And I clicked on it and, yes, I had still pre-ordered it. 

Am I the only one who thinks that Amazon's algorithm--we'll call him Tony*--is stretching it by saying that he "found" this? I don't know how you could call that finding. Observing--yes. Tony observed that I had purchased an item and deduced from that very straightforward information that I was in fact interested in the item I was purchased in. Not a hard thing to do. So, yay. Algorithms can state the obvious. So can most people. I mean, it just feels like I've been plagiarized. 

Also, it just makes Tony look desperate. I mean, he's digging the bottom of the barrel if he's pulling recommendations from things I've actually bought. Or put on my wish list. Or already ordered. Tony, it's okay.  You don't have to have a new suggestion for me every hour. Or ever, really. I promise, it's fine. 


*No offense to any Tonys out there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment