Saturday, July 27, 2019

Return of the Cake Fairy

I used to be known as the Cake Fairy, bringer of delicious baked goods to acquaintances in need. Then I moved and something happened* and I kind of lost my cake fairyness. I didn't have the right audience or motivation.

Well, in the last few months, I've started working with my next door neighbors and they've kind of become like little brothers in a way. They are pretty entertaining. A few weeks ago, one of them knocked on my door and handed me a mostly empty box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts and said, "This isn't an act of friendship, it's a bribe. I want more baked goods." And this week they both had birthdays so I made them a cake.

I'm not saying I was ever a fabulous cake maker or pastry chef or anything. But I liked to make stuff for people. It was just an easy way to put a smile on their face.** And it's been kind of nice to find that part of me again. Maybe not so healthy but it has been a nice change.

So welcome back, Cake Fairy.

*possibly multiple things. I didn't know anyone because I was new, I had dozens of coworkers instead of a couple dozen, and probably a few other things. Life happens.
**I think Carnegie missed an important chapter in his book. Food is a fantastic way to win friends and influence people.

No comments:

Post a Comment