Thursday, July 19, 2018

Suggestion

Dear Online Print Newspeople,

I know you have a lot going on right now and have your hands full with disgruntled customers, so I hate to add to your load of complaints. However, I think mine is pretty simple to take care of. It's quite fixable.

For reasons beyond our control, a lot of news is happening in the form of tweets. And I get it. You get your quotes where they are being published. My complaint has to do with the practice of including the text of the tweet in the article AND including a screenshot of the just-quoted tweet.

Isn't this overkill? I can see how you might consider the screenshot to be an "image" and not text. But guess what? It's an image of text! No one is studying it for its visual value. We're reading it. And getting annoyed that it is exactly what we just read. Why does the tweet need to be typed into the article itself and included as a screenshot? I'm literate; if I can read the one, I can read the other. No value add. The screenshot just becomes an annoying obstacle preventing me from moving on in the story.

Like I say, I know you have a lot of other, and larger, concerns. But, most of those can't be easily fixed. This one? Easy peasy. It's a quick win. And can't we all use one of those?

All the best.

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment