Sunday, July 29, 2018

Algorithms don't get me

I am going on record to say I am not sold on algorithms. Try as I might, they just don't seem to understand me.

For example, Netflix. I tell it which recommendations I don't like, it can't seem to figure out that one of the key criteria is that I have no interest in shows rated TV-MA. Same with Amazon Video. It can't seem to figure out that Rated R doesn't figure into my interests.

Then there's the rest of Amazon. Why does it think that when I've just bought a new pair of sneakers, I want to buy another pair of new sneakers? I'm sure there are some people who do that, but not the majority of us.

And then there is Google's attempt to provide me news. For some reason, it thinks that having read the first story published about Prince Louis' christening, I then want to read every other story with the same content that gets published for the next week. It also can't seem to figure out that when I say I have no interest in the Kardashians, I really have no interest in them. None. I don't care who is publishing it. And how have they not figured out I have no ties to University of Arkansas Pine Bluffs? I've told them multiple times that I'm not interested in stories from them, but they keep popping up UAPB stories. And how can they not figure out, after I dismiss every story about abs, pecs, toning, HIIT, and every other fitness trend on earth, I'm not interested in any physical fitness stories. From any source.

Yeah. Algorithms really don't know me at all. And it's not that I haven't put in the time. I think they just aren't trying hard enough. I've definitely done my work in this relationship but now I think it's time to break up. So, algorithms? we're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment