Sunday, April 22, 2018

Behind the Lens

Last night, I spent some time with my niece to celebrate a big event*. And, as usual, I was the camerawoman, a position I enjoy and sometimes am terrified of because I'm fairly certain I'm not as good a photographer as people think they are getting. But mostly I don't mind, and I end up there because I carry an actual camera instead of a phone camera. And in this case, it was fine and the pictures did turn out nicely.

The thing is, though, I realized on the way back that I didn't get a picture of me and my niece. I never seem to think about doing that. So I have all these photos documenting events in my life and I'm not in any of them! It's not a super big deal, but there is currently no photographic evidence that I'm aware of (maybe on someone's phone somewhere, but why would they photograph the photographer?) of me watching my niece open her mission call. Except for the fact that I have photographs of the event on my camera. So I guess in a way I'm in every single photo, you just never see my face. When I'm dead and my papers make it to an archive (ha ha!), researchers will have to study me through my lens, and research my life based on the photos I took, not the photos I am in.**

Now, I understand why people don't ask if I would like them to take a photo. A camera like mine I think is intimidating. It's a DSLR and it looks big and scary, but it really isn't. It has the functionality of a point and shoot, but how would they know that? Also, we live in the world of selfies; does anyone ask anyone to take photos for them anymore?*** But it does mean that photographs of me are sort of rare.

So, if you think about it, maybe ask if the photographer would like to be in the picture. They might just say yes.


*She received a mission call to serve in the Singapore Mission, Malaysia region. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**Which does make copyright a little easier, because I took them all so if I donate my photographs I can transfer the copyright. Whereas, if I'm in the photograph (assuming it isn't a selfie, which it most likely isn't if I'm the one taking the photo), it means someone else took the picture, which complicates the copyright. Yes, people, I am an info professional. We care about copyright.
***Answer: Yes. Not often, but yes. I know, because people have asked me. And I have asked if they would like me to on occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment