Saturday, March 10, 2018

This is NOT a thing

Has anyone else noticed the trend in gimmicky headlines to say things like, "The Internet (fill in the blank)"? And is anyone else bothered by it?

I noticed it a lot during the Olympics. Which I didn't really watch, but based on the headlines, "the Internet" probably needs to be either hospitalized, sent to therapy, or go on a vacation. I don't know how many things broke "the Internet" or how many times 'the Internet' expressed an strong feeling about something ("So-and-so just did xyz and the Internet is not happy") or thought something. And it continued through the Oscars.

I'm not sure why I find this so annoying. Maybe it is too much like someone referring to themselves in the 3rd person. Maybe I just hate the arrogance of assuming that the American Internet is "The Internet". Maybe I just think it's idiotic to try to personify something as incoherent as the internet. Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe it's just that every time a headline uses "the Internet", it is bound to be about something totally trivial. "The Internet" is a very obnoxious entity.* 

Whatever the reason, I find "the Internet" really annoying and I'm opposed. Boo on "the Internet"!


*As opposed to the internet, which, while sometimes obnoxious, is just a useful tool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment