Monday, May 9, 2016

Diagnosis

Somehow in a conversation at work today, we got into colors being appropriated for other things, so that they are no longer just a color. And we asked an African-American co-worker if she is offended if people call her "black", which she said she wasn't.* Then she told us how when she was a young 'un, I think maybe joining the Coast Guard, she was told that the reason Africans/African Americans were such fast runners is because they had an extra bone in their foot. And that blacks couldn't float. Which cracked all of us up, because it is kind of crazy that anyone would believe that. I mean, seriously? Number one, you can x-ray a foot and confirm that there is no extra bone. Number 2, how do you explain all the black people that float just fine? Come on, people!

Of course, based on that reasoning, I must be at least half black, because I can't float. Well, okay, I can, but not well. I'm not great at it. You don't want me to be the one saving your life. 

Well, then our conversation moved on and this terrific co-worker said that the problem is that all the rest of us are pigmentation impaired. Which is for some reason the most beautiful statement on my race I've ever heard. Pigmentation impaired. That is me, big time. Me and all my ancestors before me. We just have a complex about our genetic disorder. 

So, to help bring peace and harmony and "getting-alongness"** to the world, I suggest we start some therapy sessions for those of us afflicted with PI. Maybe we can learn some better coping skills. Although, the tanning industry may not be in favor...

*This was really good to know. Although, I imagine context and tone probably matter. But it was a good conversation and exactly how discussions about serious issues like race should take place. 
**Because I really DO want to get along! I want people to feel like I'm a safe person to be around. Wouldn't it be great if people weren't nervous or unsure about each other because of pigmentation differences. I like people. Let's all get along!

No comments:

Post a Comment