Thursday, December 3, 2015

Who knew?

Today, I learned about demonyms. I have often wondered about these, and now I know 1) what they are called, and 2) that Wikipedia has a list of demonyms for different places, official and unofficial. Who knew that people from Connecticut are called Connecticuters?  Or that people living in Albuquerque are Burqueños? And if you are in Fort Wayne, you can call yourself a Wayniac? (Because really, why would you say Fort Wayniac if you can just say Wayniac?)

I didn't set out to learn about demonyms. I actually was intrigued that Morelos is a state in Mexico, and was then curious about how many states Mexico has, got sidetracked by Mexican state flags (I think vexillologists could have some fun with those), and then found a random link to demonyms for Mexican states.

I also learned today that the Berlin Wall actually went around West Berlin. Don't ask how I never knew that, because I probably should have, but I wasn't alive then and it never came up in history class (shameful). And I discovered that Berlin has a pretty fascinating history (It's 778 years old, ! That's amazing!), and there is a thing called the Berlin Buddy Bear, and that the bear is kind of a symbol of Berlin. And I learned that you can bike the Iron Curtain trail, which I think would be amazing. I didn't plan on learning all of that, either, but sometimes you learn things without even trying.

And I solved the mystery of aperture on my camera, or at least one of them. And had fun playing with my remote shutter.

So, I end today smarter than I began it.

No comments:

Post a Comment