Saturday, June 6, 2015

Interesting tastes

I was looking at my Amazon recommendations* and came across the strangest recommendations. You know, "Recommended based on your interest in..." For example:


 

and


Now, in my book, Cinderella and The Middle are VERY different from Taken 3 and Get Hard. Not that I've seen Taken 3 or Get Hard, because, oh yeah, not my thing at all. So who out there is saying, "Man, I sure loved that happy, hopeful fairy tale with beautiful dresses and princes on horseback. It really makes me want to watch some Liam Neeson shooting up the world to get his revenge. I'd better go buy Taken 3"? Because that's messed up.

And then there are these:





I guess I can kind of see how they are assuming that an adult purchased the kindle books, and might have a young child in case 1. And maybe someone interested in science would also be interested in healthy eating. But what is the connection between diet and world war? Or diet and Sir Dudley Tinkerbottom (not gonna lie, the name was half the reason I purchased the book. The other half was it was on sale super cheap. Yeah. Not a good collection development policy.) Or diet and escaping princesses? I'm not seeing it.

My conclusion is, either a) Amazon needs to update its algorithm, b) there are some VERY strange shoppers out there, or c) I'm the very strange shopper who should rethink my life.

Maybe c?


*Helpful tip: When you are trying to find something to buy based on what the company is recommending, it is time to stop. Just stop. Put your wallet down and walk away. What you want isn't going to be found in a store.

No comments:

Post a Comment