Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Analogese

I've observed lately that I tend to use a lot of analogies when describing my life. Even in my own thoughts, I tend to say, "It's like...". And part of me feels really embarrassed by all of these analogies, as though I should be capable of expressing things without drawing word pictures. But it's the picture part of it that makes an analogy so effective.

"It's like..." is so fantastic because each analogy draws on a common experience which gives a sort of standardized meaning to things. Whereas if I say, "It was so overwhelming", well, what is overwhelming to you? Is it the same as what overwhelming means to me? Somehow, a comparison--"It was like standing on the shore and watching a tsunami come in"--is much more effective at conveying how overwhelmed, frightened, helpless, and angry* I might be.

I have a friend who is highly skilled at analogies. It is quite useful as we discuss things, and I must say, she has more than earned a degree in Analogese. It can be a tricky language to learn and requires good listening as well as good speaking skills. You have to know how to make connections, see patterns, be imaginative, and have a good vocabulary. And of course, if you get into Analogese, you are just a step away from it's language kin, Parablish. (Very closely related members of the Symbolic language family. Also included in the group are metaphors, similes, and allegory).

So, after pondering on it, rather than feel inadequate for using analogies so frequently, I'm just gonna embrace it. I figure, anything that improves our ability to improve the way we express ourselves can't hurt. Although, social media may prove me wrong...

*Yes, angry. I can just picture myself standing there saying, "You have GOT to be kidding me. Seriously?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment