Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Mi casa es su casa

I had someone come today and fix the internet* today. It was a little awkward, because I had to be here, but the guy was working and I was just muddling around trying to occupy myself while he worked.

Anyway, at some point in the process, I looked around my apartment and wondered what impression this guy got. I had scriptures sitting on my nightstand, a church magazine on the bed, a figureine of Christ on the dresser. My bookshelves have a ton of fantasy, World War II, and church books (more fantasy/sci-fi than the others, I feel obligated to disclose). And the place isn't what you'd call spic and span. Not that it's filthy, it just looks lived in. (How is it that one person who is only in the apartment for about 13 hours of the day and only awake for half of those, and hardly doing anything for the waking ones can need to tidy things up so frequently?) 

So I wonder what his impression was, if he even noticed. (He's probably been in so many houses, he tunes it out. I will say, he was very amiable, happy in his work). I wondered if he thought, "Oh boy, a religious nut." Which, if he did, is fine with me, because I can't remove that part of myself and have no problem letting it show, but I realize in my current geographic location, that may not be common. Or it may be. I can't say. At any rate, I think, looking around my apartment, that it is probably a pretty good reflection of me: Christian, a bit bookish, and somehow never quite on top of things. Amazing what walls can say about a person.

*And by fix, I mean get it to work, which it hasn't since I moved in. They did fix some wires, but I feel like 'fixing' implies that it once functioned and has broken, which maybe it has, but not since I got here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment