Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It's all fun and games

This weekend, I got to play games with my nephew. He is 4, and we were on the same team for one game. Which was fantastic. He even earned us points. We played Dixit, and Farkle, and he played games on my Kindle.

One of the things I love about playing games with him is that the rules are kind of optional. It's not that he's cheating, it's just that at 4, rules are still tricky things to understand sometimes, and in all of the games we played, he adhered to them in varying degrees. But mostly he did pretty good. My favorite though was a game he played on the Kindle.

He really didn't know the object of the game, and I didn't do so great at explaining it. I showed him how to play, just not what the goal was. But the beautiful thing was, he always believed he'd won (the game had a certain number of moves and you had to complete the mission before that) whether he'd completed the mission or not. And he just enjoyed the graphics and all the cool tricks and learning new tricks and figure it out. He really honestly was just having fun and playing.

That's what I love about playing games with him. It is just so easy and simple and all about having fun and going with the flow. It's creative. When I play a game, I'm not super competitive. I like games because it's fun to be with people, and I like learning as I play. Learning new strategies and ways to play. I'm competing against myself really, and I like the challenge of learning to play better. But that is not creative. Playing with my nephew is very creative, and I love it. And I love how uncomplicated his world is. He wins because he is a winner. Of course, he's going to grow out of it soon, and that will be sad, but in the meantime, I love playing with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment