Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sight Seeing

Last night, there was a really awesome storm. Thunder. Lightning. More thunder. More lightning. Oh, and rain. And it was around 11:30, and I should have been going to bed, but where's the fun in that? So of course I stayed up watching. And attempting to take pictures of the cool lightning. The only problem with this is 1) it was cloudy, which makes it tricky to really see the lightning, unless it's a really good flash, 2) (oh, wait, I said one problem, right? Sorry about that). My camera isn't really designed for flash photography. Yes, you can groan at that one, but it really is the best way to describe it. My camera just takes a while to actually snap the picture. Which really makes me want to invest in a different camera, to have all my bases covered. And 3) I don't have professional photographer skills.

Today also offered some interesting sights. Along with a lot of pictures of Gerald R. Ford (man, I love working in an archive!!! I wonder if he ever got tired of that picture of him as center for UM being flashed everywhere...), on my way out of work, I saw a very interesting caterpillar on the doors. This is NOT the actual caterpillar, but it is the kind of caterpillar, so you can also see how interesting it was:

"Orgyia Leucostigma caterpillar Michigan" by Thaddeus - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons

Now envision it on a glass door and you'll have the right angle and all that. And hopefully see why it was a weird site. (By the way, I stole this picture from wikipedia). What a weird caterpillar.

My last bizarre sights for the day was the Nutmobile. I honestly had never heard of this before. And I saw it and had no clue what it was called, but instantly named it in my head the "Planter's Peanut-mobile." I don't know that I was really that shocked to find out that it's official name is, in fact, the Nutmobile. No, the real mystery here was what on earth was the Nutmobile doing in my town, and particularly across the street from where I work? 

So, those are the sights I saw today. A little hairy, and a little bizarre. And definitely out of the ordinary. Not bad for a day's work.




No comments:

Post a Comment