Sunday, December 2, 2012

Life with a three-year old

I think I've mentioned before that I am currently in limbo (let it be noted that I am against limbo). Well, this has put me in residence with a very charming three-year old, and while there are four other charming kids in residence, they all go to school and so aren't home for most of the day and tend to not rely on me quite as much. So, to the other kids: I love you too, and I hope you forgive me for focusing on the little kid.

My day, as many of yours, includes breakfast at some point. Unlike yours, hopefully, my breakfast is almost always hijacked by Mr. 3. This kid is a masterful mooch, and his skill  has been improving of late. It started when he was one, and he's been honing ever since, to the point that he doesn't even do subtle anymore. One day, I turned and six inches from my face was a gaping three-year old mouth, just waiting for me to insert a spoonful of cereal. Hilariously adorable, and how do you say no to that? The real gem was when I was eating Lucky Charms, a particular favorite of his. After about two bites, he had commandeered the spoon and was graciously sharing my breakfast with me, generally when there weren't as many marshmallows in the mix. He's so thoughtful. 

My little buddy is also very big on helping me get ready for the day. On occasion, he has even chosen my outfits (with a little bit of carefully wielded influence). He gets my watch and my ring for me, and is always eager to help me with my belt (not sure why). He knows my get ready routine as well as I do. 

This kid loves stories, and he'll take them in any form. I know he knows how to count, but if you tell him, "Just one story" his mathematical skills are going to become non-existent and ten stories later (generally repeated readings of a few stories) you might finally convince him to do something else, provided you have a cool enough distraction. But he also likes to be told stories, and I have made up more stories on the spot than I can count over the last few months (some of which might actually have potential for written stories. Maybe). My favorite part is, when I finish telling him a made up story he says to me, "Will you read it again?"  

It amazes me how fast he is growing. More and more he wants to do things by himself. He can button his pajama shirt, and pour the cereal (this is a new in for mooching), he's figuring out the mouse on my laptop (this is dangerous), and a host of other things. Everyday, it's something new. Try asking him if he's a big boy, though, and this is the answer you'll get. "No, I'm just a little boy." "When will you be a big boy?" "Um, two o'clock, I think." He will then analyze your watch, watching the second hand go around, and declare it two o'clock at some point.

I don't know about other three-year olds, but this one is a phenomenal hugger. Something about his size is just perfect for hugging. I told him yesterday that hugging was his super power, and he went around the rest of the day giving everyone giant hugs. We call him Superhugger, and I tell you, it is a real super power. Flying and X-ray vision and all that may be great, but I don't know if they can compete with hugging. That is a power that can change the world.

So, there you have it. Life with a three-year old. Personally, I think everyone should have one. It would definitely make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment