Sunday, March 24, 2024

Travel part 1: Photos

While traveling for work about a week ago, I was taking pictures on the road and couldn't help wonder why we take the pictures we do. I mean, why was I taking pictures? Why was everyone else taking pictures? What were we taking pictures of and for who?

I took pictures of the scenery as we were driving from city to city. I took pictures of sunsets and hotel rooms and views from hotel rooms and hotel lobbies that were architecturally interesting and ancient ruins and things that were geometrically interesting and scenes that were different from home and interesting to me even though not necessarily aesthetic. And I tried to take more pictures of people, which is always awkward because I feel weird and shy about asking people to get in a group for a photo or to pose, but I did better this time at getting people (unposed). 

Who am I taking them for? Mostly me. I mean, sometimes I take pictures that I intend to share with the group (more of this when it is family events) but mostly it's for me. In part to see if I can become a better photograph but most of the time it is just me blundering around trying to get pictures of things I think are appealing. I doubt any of them will really have a lot of value in the long run, which of course I think about as an archivist, but should that stop anyone from taking photos? Whose to say?

Anyway, here are a few photos from my trip: 

Love a good bridge

Obsessed with how tight the housing is

I am also obsessed with the layers mountains create

Never seen a giant soccer ball before

Cool hotel architecture

I mentioned mountains, right?

Some nice geometry at Toltec ruins

Mountains. I wasn't kidding

Familiar to sights in my rural home state

Also familiar.

Cool historic cathedrals are always interesting

Cows on mountain roads. This is so reminiscent.

No comments:

Post a Comment