Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Travel part 2: Shotgun

While in Mexico, I ended up being the navigator (lo, the responsibilities of being shotgun). Which, google maps does work in Mexico, but you have to get used to the roads. For example, you'll have a big multi-lane road and one of those lanes will split off into a side street that runs parallel, but right up until you are supposed to be on that road, it looks like it is all one road. And then before you know it you are on the wrong road because either you were supposed to get off or you were supposed to stay on and thank goodness there is more than one way to get somewhere and back tracking is an option.

I also have this tendency to look away right at the critical moment. Because, I want to see what I'm driving past and so if I'm the solo navigator, my mind just wanders too much. Fortunately, I had some help from the backseat (backseat drivers can be helpful!!) and my backseat driver had my back. 

By the end of the trip, I was getting better at navigating or asking people to have eyes on the map with me, but I still never made it without missing at least one thing (although not all of them ended up derailing us). Which, to be honest, feels like something for that life resume. And we made it okay and no accidents, so I'm counting it a success. 

No comments:

Post a Comment